23 May 2020
Sailing is healthy exercise and good for our mental and physical well-being. However, the COVID-19 pandemic is very much still with us, and if we are to avoid a second peak we need to be extremely careful how we return to club activities. You must adhere to the following government guidance issued on 13 May:
‘All forms of water sports practised on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed.
You are allowed to visit venues like a sailing club to exercise. You should only do so alone, with members of your household or with 1 person from another household as long as you can remain 2 metres away from them. You should check ahead to ensure that these facilities are open and prepared to receive visitors.’
The compound at Medley will be open to sailors from Saturday 23 May, under the following conditions:
- Do not come to the club if you or anyone in your household is unwell.
- Do not bring non-members to the club.
- Sanitise hands before and after touching any common surfaces, eg the lock on the gate. Please carry your own hand sanitiser.
- Access to the clubhouse is strictly limited to the changing rooms only. If you can avoid going into the clubhouse (eg by keeping your buoyancy aid in your boat) then please do.
- Only ONE person to be in the clubhouse at a time – a sign will show if it is occupied.
- The galley is closed and no galley equipment may be used. Bring your own water to drink and do not leave any waste.
- Only use the toilets if essential – no more than one person at a time. Wash your hands and leave the basin clean.
- The boathouse is available for work on your boat – only one member at a time, booking list as usual.
- The club dinghies are not available for use.
- The service launch is not available for use.
- No organised racing or events until further notice.
As always, SAILING IS AT HELM’S RISK; members must understand and accept this. Please do not go out in conditions that you think might be beyond your abilities.
Members found to be flouting these instructions risk having their membership status reviewed as with any other rule breaches.
The current position will be reviewed and updated in the third week of June.